1. This talk by Harold G. Hillam is amazing! It ties our suffering into the atonement of Jesus Christ. It tells us why we suffer.
http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=745
2. My neighbor loaned my this book, and I found it so comforting that I ordered it. http://www.prayingthroughcancer.com/
3. This popular LDS speaker had breast cancer too, and handled other big responsibilities and trials during that period. She is my idol!!!
Seriously, I learned a lot of good things about Christ from her insights.
http://www.amazon.com/In-Trying-Times-Just-Keep/dp/1606415972/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1345846789&sr=8-7&keywords=merrilee+boyack
4. I was TERRIFIED when I learned I had cancer. I needed strength. Since I am a Mormon, I went for help to the Book of Mormon and found it in 2 Nephi 4. I listed things that Nephi did to find strength in a life crisis:
Wrote in a journal
Read and pondered scriptures a lot, and wrote his thoughts about them down
Filled his life with thoughts of the Savior
Listed ways that God had supported him in past trials
Prayed mightily, with praise for the Lord, and asked for help and deliverance
Committed to trust the Lord
Asked not amiss - not to have the situation taken away, but for strength change the situation.
5. Then, I found an amazing scripture about Isaiah when he was scared, found in 2 Nephi 7:4-9 or in Isaiah 50:4-7. Isaiah is scared to prophesy to the people lest they harm him. He is shown the Savior being crucified. It wasn't like the movies where he is beaten down and sad. Isaiah says that the Savior cooperated. He GAVE his face to the smiters. He was cheerful!!! And helpful. This thought gave Isaiah the courage to proceed. Isaiah 'set his face like a flint'. I did too - with a smile.
6. One more: April 2012 Ensign, page 40 The Atonement, by Elder David A. Bednar. He talks about not just praying for help, but praying for the power to help oneself.
7. Elder Bednar's CES talk March of 2013 That We Might Not Shrink. https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/ces-devotionals/2013/01/that-we-might-not-shrink-d-c-19-18?lang=eng I read that about 12 times to really understand what he was saying. He makes his point using two examples of people taking chemotherapy. Basically, he says that you have to be willing to accept a bad outcome if it is the will of the Lord. That is the only way to find peace. One can believe that the Lord can heal you, but the question is - is it his will?
No comments:
Post a Comment